Saturday, May 10, 2014

Nine Inch Nails

So, Kari and I went to see Nine Inch Nails on Thursday. This is one band I've listened to for over 20 years and have never seen live. I even had (past tense) regret over not seeing them when we lived in California. We went to the second and third Lollapalooza festivals, but we missed the first one, where Trent & co. played. Since NIN's Pretty Hate Machine album was HUGE for me, I always regretted not seeing them then. That regret is long gone now.

I guess it would've still been cool to have seen them at the beginning of Trent's career, but I'm pretty happy with what we got on Thursday! Trent still has so much energy, he's still so intense, and add to it 20 years worth of material we wouldn't have seen back then. So, I'm good!

To be honest, I haven't heard much of the new cd, and he played quite a lot. (Loved the new material.) But my favorites were still there.....The Hand that Feeds, Head Like a Hole, Down in It, Wish. Love them all and they were amazing! And then there's Hurt. So, here's where I have to make a confession. As much as I love music, as passionate and emotional I can get about it, in my 33 years of going to (a lot of!) concerts, I rarely get emotional. Excited? Yes. Absolutely. But emotional? Not really, no. I can remember only a couple of times. But when Trent ended the show with Hurt, it took some time for me to realize that there were tears pouring down my cheeks. I love this song anyway. I loved when Johnny Cash covered it as well (and totally understood when Trent said that, as honored as he was to have him cover it....and he was VERY honored, it was like somebody kissing his girlfriend :-) ). But this is Trent's song and the emotion and rawness of this song live just did me in I guess. That's the only way I think I can explain it. Because I was so wrapped up in it, I didn't even notice I was crying til the end of the song. 

Then the song was over. Band left. Lights came on. And I was wiping my face like crazy!


No comments:

Post a Comment